Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Funky Fungi

There has been a lot of rain in Vancouver lately (surprise surprise) with the occasion beautiful day mixed in which is just enough to keep us Vancouverites happyish. One of the things that strives in this damp weather is fungi. On one of the sunny days I was out roaming around the garden and came across these:

The ones on the left almost formed a fairy circle which in "European folklore is the location of gateways into elfin kingdoms, or places where elves gather and dance" (wikipedia). They are pretty small regular looking mushrooms. These are the ones that I saw next:

The cap of the one on the right was about 6 or 7 inches wide and the one of the left was really beautiful and looked a bit like a flower. I have however left my favorite one for last:


What is this!?! I have never seen anything like this before. It is so ugly and strange that it is beautiful. The stem is almost like a tree trunk and the top looked a little bit like a dog do!

If anyone knows what sort of fungi these are especially the last one please leave me a comment to tell me what it is. Hope anyone who is living in a rainy place is enjoy all the mushrooms that are popping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment