Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Canada's Favorite Pastime - Hockey

Last week I had the chance to go to a hockey game. This is the first time I have been to a regular season NHL game and it was quite an experience! When we got to our seats I couldn't believe how good they were, we were 9 rows behind the visiting teams net.

The Vancouver Canucks were playing a home game against the Colorado Avalanche and even though the Canucks lost 2 to 1 in the shoot out I still enjoyed every moment of it. I am not sure if I enjoyed the people watching and listening to other people's conversations or the game more. When you mix guys, sports and beer together it becomes quite an event. This guy was the most entertaining and I couldn't resist taking a photo of him when he arrived back at his seat after first intermission in this hat!

He and a group of his co-workers were definitely enjoying a beer or two and it was pretty amusing until one of them decided to dump an entire beer over his shoulder on to the girl behind him. He totally soaked her and even though she was really calm about it the other guys around her were not cool about it. The guy who dumped the beer and the puck head guy were thrown out and didn't even get to see the whole game. I am not sure that they were really there for the game any ways.

Another highlight of the game was in the second intermission when the minor league boys came out on the rink. They must have been no more than about 6 years old and they looked so tiny on the ice. Hilarious to watch and definitely very cute!

I also can't forget to mention the food. Between the two of us we ate 2 steamers (hotdogs), poutine, 5 beers and a souvenir sized bucket of popcorn. It was the true sports exeperience. Even though this was my first regular season hockey game and it will hopefully not be my last!

No comments:

Post a Comment