Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tools of My Trade

One of the things that I wish I had had help with when I first started making jewelry was what tools to use. My designs would have been more refined and better made much quicker if I had know how to better use my tools. However, what tools you use and for what, is a very personal thing so try out other people's suggestions but always remember to use what works best for you.

Here are the pliers that I use:
Chain nose:
I have two pairs and often use both at once to do things like opening jump rings or other intricate work where my fingers are too big to get a good grip. The chain nose pliers are like an extension of both my hands when I work with them. They are great for getting a 90 degree bend in wire and for lots of other basic techniques.

Round nose:
It took me a while to find a pair of round nose pliers that I really liked the size of. The end of the nose comes in different thickens and this thickness dictates the size of the loops you can make with them. The pair that I have is about 1mm thick and I really like them because I can make very small delicate loops with them but can also make larger loops if I put the wire farther up the nose. I also use them at times when I need to hold on to something in a very tight space and the chain nose pliers are too thick to get in.

Side cutter (full flush):
I use to use the basic side cutters that you get at most bead stores and with any plier kit and I never liked them because it was really hard to get into small places to cut wires flush when you are doing any small wire work. Finally I came across a pair of side cutters that have a very tapered nose and thin jaws so they are really easy to get into small spaces and get a nice clean flush cut. It still confuses me why these are not the normal side cutters used but like I said before each artists is comfortable with different tools.

Crimp pliers:
For many years I use to just flatten crimps with my chain nose pliers. This never looked very good, the edges were a bit sharp and I was always worried about the crimp slipping. Then I was in the local bead store and saw crimp pliers on a display. The woman in the shop showed me how to use them and now my crimps look clean and professional and I don't worry about slipping any more.

A short story about these crimp pliers; I always squeezed very very hard on the pliers to make sure that the crimp was well closed. I guess I squeezed too hard a few too many times and one day while I was squeezing a crimp with all my strength one of the jaws of the pliers broke off and flew to the other side of the room at an alarming rate! Luckily it only hit the floor and not my eye, someone else, a window or the TV. I am sure that this was a freak occurrence and now I know not to squeeze quite so hard and that the crimps are just as good if you use less force.

There are lots of other types of pliers out there such as end cutters, long-chain nose, bent nose, loop closing, flat-nose, rosary and split ring. I have used a few of them but not all of them and have just found the pliers that work for me for what I do. My advice is to experiment with different pliers, ask what other people use and in the end you will find what works best for you.

Happy plier shopping!

1 comment:

  1. It is so true...it is all about the perfect tools of he trade. Like a great scissor or hot glue gun.

    ReplyDelete