Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My New Muse

When I was little I loved anything that was miniature or had lots of pieces to play with like lego, Barbie and my favorite was playmobile. Now as an adult, I don't play with those sorts of things any more because a.) They don't really interest me any more and b.) some how I do not thinking it would really be socially acceptable for a 29 year old woman to be playing with toys.

I was surfing around on the internet about a week or so ago and kept coming across this wide eyed, slightly strange but adorable doll called Blythe. The were made for children by Kenner in 1972 but the large eyes that change color and direction when you pull the cord in the back of their heads scared children and were only made for a year and then were discontinued. After it was obvious that there was a real collectors following for these dolls, the Neo-Blythe dolls began to be produced in 2001. Now you can find them all over the internet and there are so many sites dedicated to these cute fashionable collectible dolls. When I saw them online I was intrigued and started to research them. The more I found out about them, the more that I saw the different clothes and accessories you could buy or make for them, the more fascinated I became. This tapped into my love of all things miniature and here was a doll that an adult could have because it was a collectible not a toy. I researched and found a shop in Toronto (these dolls are not readily available in Canada or the US) that carries Blythe and I bought my very first girl who's manufacturers name is French Trench.

French Trench, who is yet to be given her own personal name, has become my new muse. My plan is to open a new etsy shop and to make jewelry, accessories and clothes for this fashionable quirky doll. This idea collaborates my talents as a jeweler, sewer, marketer and lover of miniatures and collectibles!

I can't wait to get started but it will have to wait until after my across Canada trip in a Uhaul that starts on Tuesday next week. Watch for lots of stories and photos to be posted from that trip!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your doll--they STILL creep me out. hehe.

    ReplyDelete